Stand Up Paddle Board Lessons in Southport
SUP North’s instructors have been sharing our love for SUP for over seven years, so we’re very experienced at training new paddlers. Our mission is to introduce more people to this awesome water sport. We want you to love it as much as we do, so we only teach small groups and we use the best quality kit, including the latest inflatable all-round boards and lightweight carbon hybrid paddles, to ensure you have a great experience.
A two hour introductory lesson with us on the safe waters of Southport Marine Lake will give you the skills and knowledge that you need to get you on your feet and paddling confidently.
The first 20-25 minutes or so will be land-based and will cover the following –
SUP origins and a little bit of history
Stance and Technique
Remaining time is spent on the water learning to paddle on your knees, to stand and turn the board and looking at paddling techniques. There will be plenty of time to have a play and really find your feet – our aim is to send you away addicted!
If you’re paddle boarding already, and want to improve your stroke technique, learn to move your feet on the board, tail turn, prepare for surf or learn race techniques, we can tailor the session to suit you. Please get in touch with your requirements and availability.
Refresher lessons available for those who haven’t been on board for some time, or have only had a lesson in the pool and want to learn to paddle in different conditions on the lake.
Cost – £45 for a one to one lesson. £35 per person for two participants or if you are booking alone and happy to have a lesson with one other person. Bring a group of 3 and pay just £30 each. Maximum group size is currently 3 (usually 6). Payment in advance is currently required to avoid use of cash.
Covid-19 Lesson Update
To keep participants and instructors safe we have the following measures in place for lessons from June 2020 until further notice –
- lesson sizes are reduced to a maximum of 3 participants
- we can’t currently teach children under 14. Those aged 14-17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also taking part in the lesson
- no changing or toilet facilities are available. Paddlers should come dressed to paddle (as advised when booking) with a change of clothes and towel
- payment will be made in advance of the lesson online to minimise contact
- disclaimer forms must be completed and returned via email in advance of the lesson. Anyone experiencing possible covid-19 symptoms should inform SUP North and postpone lesson
- kit will be cleaned before and after each session. Handling by instructor will be minimised
- hand sanitiser will be provided and must be used before handling kit
- dry bags will be provided for paddlers to take any drinks, sun cream or medication on the water
- rescue by the instructor will take place only in emergency circumstances. Remounting board will be taught and demonstrated before taking to the water. Towing will be the first option if paddler can’t remount.
More dates coming soon.
Please bear with us. With high demand and limited capacity we are now working on a waiting list and booking 4 weeks ahead. If you’d like to book please email us on email@example.com with number of people and preference for a Saturday or Wednesday evening. We’ll be in touch ASAP with a date and time.
Click here to book and pay. Please mention the date and time in the notes during checkout.
We will acknowledge your booking as soon as possible. Please bear with us as we may be on the water.
When no dates appear here, to book or enquire about a lesson please Email us
Social paddling sessions are not currently taking place due to limited group sizes and social distancing rules.
What you need to know
Lessons will take place subject to suitable weather conditions. Lessons will not be cancelled if light rain is forecast, but windy conditions over 15mph or stormy weather are usually not suitable or enjoyable. Cancelled lessons will be re-scheduled or refunded.
Booked lessons may be cancelled by participants with 48 hours notice.
Meet at the north end of Southport Marine Lake. Parking for lesson is usually at Lakeside Church car park – PR9 OLA (we will give instructions for alternative parking on Sundays or for inclement weather)
What to wear – In warmer weather a wetsuit isn’t necessary, although you can of course wear it if you have one. Otherwise lightweight, quick-drying sportswear is ideal (no cotton or denim!) or board shorts and rash vest. Bring a towel and change of clothes.
Shoes – for safety enclosed footwear must be worn. Wetsuit boots or water shoes are ideal, or old trainers that you don’t mind getting wet.
You can give an Introduction to SUP lesson as a gift by purchasing a gift voucher here